Book Review—The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny

The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny is the 3rd book in the Inspector Armand Gamache series. I listened to the audiobook, which I obtained free from Orange County Library Services using the Libby app. This book was first published in hardback form in 2008. 

Once again Armand Gamache is summoned to Three Pines because of a suspicious death. This time a woman dies at a séance at the old Hadley House. Everyone at first thinks she dies of fright, but Gamache soon learns the truth. 

I really enjoy these whodunnit mysteries. Louise Penny has created so many interesting characters that continue to appear in the series. Also, I love how wise Inspector Gamache is about life. Here is one of my favorite quotes of his:

“There are four statements that lead to wisdom. I want you to remember and follow them. Are you ready?” Agent Lemieux had taken out his notebook and, pen poised, he’d listened. “You need to say: I don’t know. I’m sorry. I need help, and I was wrong.”

What great words to live by! I love Louise Penny’s books not only for the fun murder mysteries she creates, but also for the creative way she includes advice to live a better life.

The first two books in the series are Still Life and A Fatal Grace. The books, in my opinion, need to be read in order to fully understand the background of Armand Gamache. If you enjoy mysteries and crime fiction, you will love this series.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5



Comments