My February 2019 Reading

Can you believe it is March 1st?  It is time for me to share my February reading.  I loved all of my books this month.  I get so excited to share them with you!


The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris is classified as historical fiction, but it is based on interviews the author had with Lali Sokolov.  Lali was a Sovakian Jew, who was imprisoned at Auschwitz and forced to tattoo numbers on thousands of incoming prisoners.  These terrible conditions are the backdrop for a love story with a woman named Gita Furman, whom Lali meets at the camp.  This novel will capture you with its themes of survival, determination, and love.  There is talk of the book being made into a high-end television drama to be released in January 2020 to tie in with the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

Marie Benedict's The Only Woman in the Room also had a World War II theme.  It was Barnes & Noble's January Book of the Month.  This is the captivating story of Hedy Lamarr, an Austrian actress who eventually came to the United States and found stardom in Hollywood.  However, her story begins in Austria when at a young age she married Fritz Mandl, who furnished weapons and ammunition to the Austrian national militia during World War II.  Hedy Lamarr's story is fascinating; she was highly intelligent and became an inventor.  I want to read Marie Benedict's other novels The Other Einstein and Carnegie's Maid after reading this book.

Next, I read The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn.  This book is a thriller; the plot keeps you on the edge of your seat.  It was a quick read for me because I wanted to see what happened!  Regardless of the recent controversy about the book, I highly recommend it.  A movie is in the works, too, starring Amy Adams.

Warlight by Michael Ondaatje, who also wrote The English Patient, is set in the decade following World War II.  It is a story about two children, Nathaniel and Rachel, who are left by their parents to be raised by "family friends".  This novel is captivating as the story unfolds about their parents, and how the Nathaniel and Rachel navigate through their lives.

99 Percent Mine by SallyThorne, author of The Hating Game, is a light, fun read.  It is just a sweet romance that I recommend.  Now, I want to read The Hating Game, which has also gotten great reviews!

Lou Berney's November Road has such an intriguing plot.  It is a crime novel set against JFK's assassination.  There is a great 60's feel to the book with great characters, especially the main character, Frank Guidry.  Lawrence Kasdan is set to write the script and direct a movie version of the book. 

I finally read Elin Hilderbrand's summer of 2018's novel, The Perfect Couple.  I really loved this book; it is one of my favorite Elin Hilderbrand's novels, and I have read a lot of them!  It is part mystery and romance.  If you are a fan of hers, you will love the book!

So, what will I be reading in March?  I am listening to The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.  It was published in 2013, and I have seen the movie.  However, I have always wanted to read the book because I thought the plot was intriguing with the time travel aspect.  I am halfway through the book now.  I am also reading The Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin.  It is Ms. Martin's debut novel, and I love it!  I also had the pleasure of meeting her recently.  More on that at the end of the month.  I also plan on reading Forever is the Worst Long Time by Camille Pagan, The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin (February's Barnes & Noble Book of the Month), An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

What are you reading?






Comments