Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Bread

When I ran across this recipe for gluten free lemon poppyseed bread last week, I thought it would be perfect for spring.  I love the fresh taste of lemons and lemon zest.  This bread reminds me of poppyseed mini-muffins I used to purchase at Publix.  This recipe came from the blog Gluten Free on a Shoestring.  The author, Nicole Hunn, is very detailed in her instructions, and my bread turned out perfectly.

Ingredients:
  • 1-3/4 cups all purpose gluten free flour (The author used Better Batter.  I want to try that flour.  I used Bob's Red Mill wheat free, dairy free, 1-to-1 gluten free baking flour.)
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it; Bob's Red Mill as stated above contains xanthan gum.)
  • 6 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • Finely grated zest and juice of 1 medium-size lemon (about 3 tablespoons juice)
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/4 + 1/8 cup of Truvia Baking Blend.)
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature (can replace with an equal amount Greek-style yogurt, which is what I did.)
  • 2 eggs at room temperature, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a standard 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan and set it aside.  *Note:  Take butter, eggs, and yogurt out of the refrigerator now so they will be at room temperature when needed.
  • In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.  Whisk to combine well.  Add the lemon zest, and whisk to combine, breaking up any lumps.  Add the sugar, and whisk again to combine.  Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice, mixing to combine after each addition.  The batter will be thick.
  • Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and spread into an even layer with a wet spatula.  For a more even loaf, with a wet, very sharp knife, slash the loaf down the center about 1/4-inch deep.  Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and continue to bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean and the top is lightly golden brown (another 10 to 20 minutes).  Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  Slice thickly and serve.


Ready to eat!!



When making the bread, I found that whisking after each ingredient was added was important to the batter's success.  I used two knives to work the butter into the dry ingredients. My family really enjoyed this treat!  My mom had some for a snack last night and for breakfast this morning.  Let me know if you make this springtime tasty treat!

Comments