Almond Butter Chia Pudding and More on Plant-Based Nutrition

Thank you for your great response to yesterday’s blog!  I always enjoy sharing information I get with my readers!  Did you catch the news yesterday?  Here is a link to the latest information on cholesterol levels in chicken and red meat.  There is so much to consider when we make decisions about what we eat.

I received an amazing resource from Dr. Wasserstrom yesterday in a email to Life@UCF members. This is a Plant-Based Nutrition Guide from the Plantrician Project.  All of the information is backed by scientific research.  I am so excited to read through this, as it seems reader-friendly and full of information.  One thing that Dr. Wasserstrom mentioned and is included in this nutrition guide is that the only nutrient that cannot be obtained from a whole food, plant-based diet is vitamin B12.  So, please contact your doctor about the correct amount of supplement you should take if you transition to this diet. The current recommendation is 2500 mcg, which is what I take, but check with your health provider.

Today I’m going to share a plant-based breakfast or dessert, Almond Butter Chia Pudding.  It comes from one of my favorite blogs, The Almond Eater.  This is a recipe you can make the night before, similar to overnight oats.  I’ve had it for breakfast the last two mornings and it is delicious!

Almond Butter Chia Pudding—Makes 2 servings

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons almond butter
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (I substituted 2-3/4 teaspoons of Truvia Nectar.)
  • 1 cup almond milk (or plant-based milk of choice)
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon chia seeds

Directions:

  •  Place almond butter, syrup and milk in a bowl and stir together. (Note:  The recipe’s author suggests that you may consider microwaving the almond butter for 30 seconds to melt it so that it combines more smoothly. I did this.)
  • Stir in chia seeds by hand.
  • Once everything is mixed, pour mixture into a bowl or mason jar and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight. (I put mine in two dessert dishes.)
  • Top with extra almond butter.


I topped my pudding with fruit for the photo.  You could top it with almonds or walnuts for extra fiber.  I actually made a fruit salad of a banana, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries to eat with my pudding.  There will be little chunks of almond butter in the pudding, but who doesn’t like chunks of almond butter!  I hope you enjoy this recipe!

Comments