Book Review—Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey






Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey is an adorable book.  If you like rom-coms, you will enjoy this book.  It is Kerry Winfrey’s debut novel, too!  The main character in the story, Annie Cassidy, is obsessed with rom-coms.  She wants her “meet cute” moment with all of the fireworks of romantic love to follow.  In reality she lives with her uncle, works at a local coffee shop, and is secretly working on a screenplay.  Of course, the screenplay is a rom-com.  A movie just happens to start filming in her town, and that is when Annie’s life begins to change.

This is such a sweet, heartwarming story.  I loved watching Annie’s growth during the novel.  The relationship between Annie and her best friend, Chloe is especially touching.  Does Annie meet her “Tom Hanks?”  You will just have to read the book to find this out!

On a personal note, I have always loved Tom Hanks rom-coms.  He’s my age, and I could always relate to his movies.  In addition, I read his book, Uncommon Type and found out that he has quite a collection of antique typewriters.  Around the time Uncommon Type was published, Tom was a guest on the CBS Sunday Morning, and they actually showed many pieces of his collection.

So, this summer, my sister and I were going through my mom and dad’s home to get ready for an estate sale before we put the house on the market.  What did we find?  An old typewriter, and I mean old.  It was made before the QWERTY keyboard was used, and it was wooden.  My dad was an avid antique collector and this was one of his last purchases.  So, who would want this typewriter, we thought?  Who would appreciate this typewriter?  We both said—Tom Hanks!

So, I rewatched the CBS Sunday Morning show and wrote to Tom’s publisher of Uncommon Type.  I didn’t hear back from them.  So, I sent Tom Hanks a DM to his verified Instagram account, hoping his social media people would give him the message.  So, when the book, Waiting for Tom Hanks came out this summer, my sister, Glenna, and I just started laughing! We were waiting for Tom Hanks, too!

Glenna and I had fun waiting for Tom Hanks.  Would he contact me by Instagram, by cell phone, or by snail mail?  I answered every call that came across my cell phone.  I endured a lot of scams, but Tom Hanks was worth the trouble.  I kept imagining what he would say.  “Hi, this is Tom Hanks,” or better, “Hi LaDonne, this is Tom Hanks,” and he would even pronounce my name correctly.

Well, we are still waiting for Tom Hanks.  And, alas, we sold the typewriter at the estate sale.  He really missed out on a great typewriter.  But, just in case you read this blog, Tom Hanks, my sister and I still think the world of you, and always will.


Comments