WW San Francisco Fisherman’s Stew

I am so excited to share this stew from WW (formerly Weight Watchers) new cookbook 100 Slow Cooker & Instant Pot Recipes.  I actually received the cookbook free from WW’s Wellness Wins program in which you track your points, attend workshops to earn “wins” which you can save to buy various items. It is definitely a winning way to eat healthy! I love cooking with my slow cooker, so the stew was a great excuse to start using it again.

San Francisco Fisherman’s Stew—Prep 25 min.  Cook 3 to 6 hr.  Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes in puree, tomatoes broken up, undrained 
  • 1 (14-1/2 oz.) can chicken broth
  • 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 small carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon nonpareil (tiny) capers, drained
  • 2 teaspoons chopped thyme, plus whole leaves for garnish
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
  • 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 
  • 3/4 pound halibut, cod , and/or striped bass fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks (I used mahi-mahi.)
  • 4 teaspoons fruity extra-virgin olive oil ( I did not use this, so on the WW Purple Plan, I counted the soup as zero points!
Directions:
  1. In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, combine tomatoes and puree, broth, fennel, onion, carrots, garlic, capers, chopped thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook 3 hours on High or 6 hours on Low.  (At this point, stew can be kept on warm setting up to 3 hours.)
  2. Stir in shrimp and halibut. Cover and cook until shrimp are just opaque in center, about 10 minutes on Low. Ladle stew evenly into four large shallow bowls and drizzle each serving with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with thyme leaves.
This is such a delicious stew.  The recipe does not mention salt and pepper, but I did add both to taste once I ladled the stew into my bowl.  The notes on this recipe states that this stew is also called cioppino and usually contains Dungeness crab.  When I visited San Francisco years ago, I ate a lot of Dungeness crab, and it is delicious.  If you live on the west coast where it is readily available, you could use it in the stew in place of the shrimp.  My local grocer did not have fresh cod, so I used fresh mahi-mahi in my stew and it held up perfectly.  I highly suggest that you get out your slow cooker and make this stew! Enjoy!




Ready to eat!!

Comments