Book Review—Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout


Recently, I noticed that many people were reading Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout.  So I researched the book on Goodreads and found out it was the sequel to the Pulitzer Prize winning book, Olive Kitteridge.  Having never read Olive Kitteridge, I borrowed the audiobook from my local public library and listened to it on the Libby app.  I was so pleasantly surprised with this book.  I absolutely loved it.  

I like stories.  In fact, my students always liked my stories.  Maybe I missed my calling, because I think I could have been a pretty good storyteller.  Anyway, Olive Kitteridge is made up of 13 stories.  In some of the stories, Olive is a main character and in others, she is just mentioned.  The setting is the fictitious town of Crosby, Maine.  I really related to this book because I am a retired teacher, like Olive.  Also, the author is my contemporary in age, so again, her writing brought me back to various memories in my life.  Olive can be a polarizing figure.  She is blunt and is definitely a flawed character.  In other words, she is human.  Some of the stories will make you laugh, others will make you cry, and others will just make you think.

I found out that HBO made a 4-part miniseries based on the book.  It is still available to watch.  Frances McDormand plays the title role.  She won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for her portrayal of Olive in the HBO miniseries, Olive Kitteridge.  The miniseries also won 5 other major Emmys in 2015, more than any other show.  The miniseries does not do all 13 stories, but does a great job in selecting the important moments in the book.  

I hope you will enjoy Olive Kitteridge as much as I did.  I’m now listening to the sequel, Olive, Again, and will review it soon.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5





Comments