Gingerbread Maple Muffins

Do you know what I like about gingerbread? It brings up nostalgic memories of Christmas. My sister always made gingerbread cookies. She used my mom’s huge gingerbread man cookie cutter.  I don’t remember actually eating any of her cookies because she ate all of them! 

When I taught, I can remember having Christmas Around the World.  Each teacher chose a country and taught the students about their holiday traditions. Then the classes would rotate to each teacher so they would hear many presentations. I usually chose Germany. I made pans of gingerbread! It was always a hit with the children. I also made a spiced tea to go with it and shared some ornaments I actually bought on a trip to Germany. Great times!

Back to the present...

These Gingerbread Maple Muffins are from none  other than Jessica Merchant of How Sweet Eats . They are amazing! My sister and I love them! We limit ourselves to one a day, but believe me, we could easily eat more!

Gingerbread Maple Muffins

Yield: 12-16 muffins (I was able to make 19.)

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur gluten-free all-purpose flour.)
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 
  • 2/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup molasses 
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • Raw sugar for topping
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tin with liners. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves. Set aside.
  2. In a larger bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and egg. Once combined, whisk in the molasses, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk in the melted butter until fully combined - do not overmix. Before the dry ingredients are fully incorporated, stir in the milk until you have a smooth batter.
  3. Add the batter to the muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 of the way full. Top each with a generous sprinkle of raw sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the muffin tops are fully set and no longer jiggly.
I know these muffins are a little off plan, but you can substitute almond milk for regular milk and Swerve brown sugar replacement for regular brown sugar.  

I hope you enjoy making Gingerbread Maple Muffins. Maybe you could start a new tradition!!




 

Comments