August 2024 Reading


This month I listened to three novels by Elizabeth Strout in anticipation for Tell Me Everything (#5 in the series) that comes out September 10th. I love the family saga of Lucy Barton. 

I also listened to Real Americans by Rachel Khong. Told by three distinctive narrators, it is the story of a family that originates in China. This is another great family saga that I thoroughly enjoyed.

A Game of Lies by Clare Mackintosh is the second book in the DC Morgan series. It is a thriller/mystery that concerns a reality tv show being filmed in the Welsh mountains. It is a clever plot, and I really like the two main characters, Ffion Morgan and Leo Brady.

I listened to Hillbilly Elegy written and narrated by J. D. Vance. This book has been on my TBR list forever. It was written by Vance when he was 31-years-old, before he had any political aspirations. Vance had quite a childhood, and it is his grandparents that he credits for his life today.

One of my favorite authors, Amor Towles, published Table for Two recently. It contains six beautifully written short stories and the novella, Eve in Hollywood, the continuing story of Eve from Rules of Civility. I loved all of the short stories; they were all distinctly different with the gorgeous writing that only Amor Towles can produce. I reviewed Eve in Hollywood back in 2020. I’ll link the review here. Relax on a crisp fall afternoon with one of these short stories. You can thank me later.

Comments